Wednesday, June 24, 2009

NuWhoTunes

As you may or may not know, there are lyrics to the theme tune of Blake's 7 - a tune by the ditty little name of A Distant Star. But some rap group called Raindancer have apparently uncovered the lyrics to the theme to Doctor Who which frankly don't measure up to Bulamakanka's take on the same matter (a song so cool not even Lawrence Miles and Tat Wood can team up to despise it, though in typical backhander fashion any non-Aussie needs to get completely pissed to enjoy it).

Do you also have the feeling that something is wrong?
The world is turning backwards and today is really yesterday
And everybody is a stranger and we don't even know ourselves
Wherever we go we always end up at the same spot again

There is something familiar about this
Everything is upside down and the beginning is the end
And every answer to a question is a question in itself
We're lost in time and we're calling Dr Who

It seems like every clock in here is always ten to two
And always shows a smiling face no matter what we do
And I'm getting kind of nervous coz I guess we are in trouble
Since the author of this drama is escaping in a limousine

Now is not now
We're lost in time
Want to go home
Calling Dr Who


Will Moffat use these lyrics to accompany Matt Smith's journeys through the cosmos?

...

I hope not.

2 comments:

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

I thought the lyrics ended with Jon Pertwee whispering "I am... THE DOCTOR!"

Not sure what to make of those. I was trying to work out how to sing it into the tune, but then just gave up.

Youth of Australia said...

I thought the lyrics ended with Jon Pertwee whispering "I am... THE DOCTOR!"

That, actually was the song "I am the Doctor", believe it or not.

I cross the void beyond the mind
The empty space that circles time
I see where others stumble blind
To seek a truth they never find
Eternal wisdom as my guide
I am THE DOCTOR!

Through cosmic wastes the TARDIS flies
To taste the secret source of life
A presence science can't deny
Exists outside between behind
The lattitudes of human minds

My knowledge transcends the laws of time
Who knows? you say, but are you right
Who searches deep to find the light?
That glows so darkly in the night?
Towards that point I guide my flight!

As fingers move to end mankind
Metallic teeth begin to grind
With sword of truth I turn to fight
The satanic powers of the night
IS YOUR FAITH BEFORE YOUR MIND?!
KNOW ME! AM I... The Doctor?

Which can not only be sung to the theme tune but also Black Sabbath's "Paranoid".

Not sure what to make of those. I was trying to work out how to sing it into the tune, but then just gave up.
They sort of have to be sung in a monotone, kind of like the computer in Seeds of Death.