Monday, May 21, 2012

Blake's 7: Escape (viii)


[Tracking gallery. The Captain is, with some difficulty, bandaging his injured hand. A trooper stands at Klyn’s console.]

Trooper: The Commissioner’s ship is heading back to the frontier, sir. The gunships won’t be able to catch up with them.

Captain: Forget it. Log the incident and prepare a full-scale Federation alert.

[Finishing his bandage, the Captain turns his attention to Ravelo, who is lying on the floor in a pool of his own blood. Alive, but in agony.]

Captain: Convince me you’re worth giving you medical attention.

Ravelo: [feverish] How do I do that?

Captain: Tell me everything.

Ravelo: All right. I’ll do it.

Captain: Well?

Ravelo: I’ll tell you the biggest secret I know.

[The Captain aims his rifle at Ravelo with his good hand.]

Captain: It better be good.

Ravelo: It is. Listen. Gauda Prime was mined out years ago. There’s no money left to be made here – so why do the Federation want to end the Open Planet policy, eh? Think about it. Why? Why would they do that?

Captain: Tell me.

Ravelo: Because Blake wanted it. Imagine it – a whole planet full of criminals, just like the ones he teamed up with on the Liberator. The bounty hunters would get rid of the worst and leave just the proper rebels behind. And at the end of it, he’d have an army.

Captain: But Blake’s dead. The plan failed!

Ravelo: Not quite. See, once law was restored, the Federation would take GP over. It would join the empire again. Blake and his army smuggled inside, right under their noses. Not just the bounty hunters. The towns and the ports. This planet belongs to the rebellion, Captain. The whole world. Billions of resisters officially classed as loyal Federation citizens. The first planet Blake freed, the first of many.

Captain: It’s not going to happen. Not now you’ve told me.

Ravelo: I just wanted to remind myself I’m on the winning side. And I just told you because I know you can’t do anything about it.

Captain: Can’t I? I can tell the entire Federation now. And you can’t stop me killing you.

[The Captain presses the gun barrel against Ravelo’s cheek.]
 
Ravelo: Yeah. [calm and loud] But there will be companions for my death.

[There is a shrill beeping noise from all around. The Captain whirls, trying to identify the source of the noise. Ravelo sighs and closes his eyes as a blinding white glare suddenly fills the tracking gallery in less than a second.]

[A massive mushroom clouds rises out of the heart of the pine forests.]

[Flight deck. As before.]

Orac: I bring to your attention that there has been a massive detonation on the surface of Gauda Prime. The Decima base silo has been totally annihilated.

Servalan: Covering our tracks completely?

Orac: It would appear so.

Gamren: [aghast] But Ravelo...

Zanto: [sighs] He wouldn’t have felt a thing, Gamren.

Gamren: How can you know?!

Zanto: Scientific fact. By the time his nervous system could have reacted to pain... well, by that time he wouldn’t have had a nervous system left. [awkward] I probably could have phrased that better.

Vila: Yes! You could!

Avon: He died where and when of his own choosing. Not everyone has such a luxury.

Vila: Especially when you’re around.

Avon: Quite. And how does it feel, Vila, to already be one soldier down?

Vila: He wasn’t a soldier, he was my friend!

Avon: Yes. That made all the difference in the end.

Vila: [fuming] Lora. Do me a favor. Find the cabin furthest away from everywhere else, take this ray of cancerous sunshine there and lock him inside.

Lora: Yes, um... Mr. Restal. Sir.

[She waves her gun at Avon.]

Avon: [arched eyebrow] You trust a random Federation thug over me, Vila?

Vila: Says a lot, doesn’t it? Out.

[Avon leaves obediently. Lora has to run to keep up with him.]

Gamren: I could use some rest as well.

[Zanto stops her.]

Zanto: Ravelo didn’t die for nothing, Gamren. He’s made damn sure that the Federation don’t know just what’s going on down on GP. Blake’d have been proud of him.

Gamren: Great. What are we? Martyrs Anonymous?

[She leaves. Zanto sighs.]

Vila: You really believe any of that?

Zanto: Yes. I do, actually. But there’s the trouble – the Federation may not know who runs GP, but they can still find out if they look hard enough. And they will, now one of their missions has disappeared after a Commissioner has visited.

Vila: Wonderful. Just when things can’t get any worse... [rubs eyes] Well, then, Mr. Psychostrategist. Got a plan?

Zanto: [smirks] Yes, actually.

[He turns to face Servalan, who is sitting at her desk.]

Zanto: Well, Servalan. Time to pay for the kindness we’ve shown you.

[Servalan arches an eyebrow.]

[An office. Councilor Meston slumps down in a chair at a desk with a built-in communications monitor. The screen shows Servalan’s face.]

Meston: What is it, Commissioner? You’ve been trying to contact me all day apparently – so I assume you have news of the greatest importance for me?

Servalan: You assume correctly, Councilor.

[The image zooms out enough to show she has Orac beside her.]

Meston: [frowns] What is that? Is it...

Servalan: Orac, Councilor Meston? Yes. The ultimate computer and the key to power untold. Prized from the cold, dead hands of its previous owners on Scorpio, whose corpses are rotting on Gauda Prime as we speak.

Meston: [amazed] They’re dead? Avon, Tarrant and the others?

Servalan: [chuckles] Dead. Gone. Extinguished for ever.

[Meston is impressed, despite himself.]

Meston: You, of course, have sufficient proof of their demise.

Servalan: Why should I need any? I no longer report you to or the fools at the High Council.

Meston: [less impressed] I know that success is a very rare thing for you, Sleer, but don’t let it go to your head.

Servalan: Oh, Meston. Such an acid tongue. Is it, perhaps, caused by the cravings for exobriddian you foolishly sampled on your last trip to Earth? One taste is all it takes...

[Meston’s eyes widen.]

Meston: [coldly] What are you talking about?

Servalan: I know about your filthy little secret, Meston. Indeed, all your secrets. Your hidden bank accounts, your mistress on Zeigler 4, precisely what you did to that secretary who spurned your advances. My dear Councilor – even I was shocked!

Meston: Very amusing, Sleer. That is the genuine Orac, you’ve proved that.

Servalan: But why stop there? Why simply settle for blackmailing a fool like you at Federation Security when I could control the entire supreme council – the Federation itself, in fact?

[She lets her words sink in.]

Servalan: I do hope you’re recording this message, Meston.

Meston: All incoming transmissions are logged and stored.

Servalan: Then I strongly recommend you send a copy to everyone at the Ministerial Communiqué Nexus. And believe me, I’ll check that. I wish it made public to the entire empire – every world, every city, every drone in every factory is to see it.

Meston: That hardly sounds wise.

Servalan: Wise? Meston, please! Absolutely no one can touch me now. Orac’s powers are mine – forever. In a very real sense, it’s been Orac rather than the rebels I’ve been pursuing all these years. And at last I have fulfilled my greatest wish. And it wasn’t even in the least bit anticlimactic. This is a whole new beginning, ex-Councilor Meston. And I savor every – luscious – moment. [mock innocent] I think it will cause a stir.

[Meston keeps his cool – but he is frightened. Servalan knows it.]

Servalan: Citizens of the Terran Federation! The regime which rules the known galaxy dies tonight – and a new power structure will take its place. It gives me inordinate pleasure to inform you that I am Servalan, former president and supreme commander of this empire. My enemies conspired to depose me, removing from power the finest leader the state has ever seen! These power-mad conspirators, these malcontents and social outcasts have since allowed Roj Blake and his cadre to wage a ruthless terrorist war upon ordinary Federation citizens – providing them a smokescreen while they seized control.

[Slowly zoom in on the screen.]

Servalan: These maladjusted individuals who control the Federation pose a far greater danger than the likes of Blake and I intend to see a great many heads quite literally roll. I invite all civil administrators to check the files of their so-called leaders and see for themselves the incriminating evidence that is there for all to see. The difficult and dangerous task is at an end and I expect the full support of the Federation people in overthrowing their rulers and restoring me to my rightful position of authority.

[She leans forward.]

Servalan: The Federation needs what I offer – I will end this rot that is ruining the empire. To those who betrayed my trust I say only this: expect me on Earth soon.

[Meston now looks out and out horrified.]

[Flight deck. Servalan sits at her console. Vila and Zanto stand on either side, out of range of the camera. Orac buzzes away.]

Servalan: Cut transmission, Orac.

[The screen goes blank.]

Servalan: As requested, gentlemen. The greatest distraction you could ask for. No one will have any further interest in Blake or Gauda Prime, not now they have a true enemy to focus their attention upon.

Orac: The conclusion is logical. Despite all the efforts of the administration, the Federation is the most unstable it has ever been and your transmission, if replayed as per your instructions, has a sixty-one percent chance of generating such tensions severe enough to destroy the Federation as a galacto-graphical entity.

Servalan: To be replaced by something Blake would have approved of?

Orac: Not all changes are attainable or practical.

Servalan: I’ve heard it said. But I’m nothing if not pragmatic. I’m far happier ruling a reformed Federation than remaining a minion of the current one. [to the others] After all, someone is needed to seize the reigns of power and promote Blake’s cause, are they not?

Zanto: But not you, Servalan.

[Servalan rises, smirking.]

Servalan: Oh no? And why, pray tell, not?

[She turns to address the others as Vila casually draws his clipgun and fires. The sound echoes like a thunderclap. In slow-motion, Servalan’s mouth forms an O of surprise and she doubles over in agony. She falls back against the console and then slowly slides to the floor. Vila looks down at her sadly.]

Vila: No more tricks, Servalan. No more empty promises. It’s all over. You shouldn’t feel any pain. Small consolation, I grant you...

[Servalan glares at him, her strength ebbing away.]

Servalan: [sighing] You... of all people... you...

Vila: Every time Avon spared your life, it cost us all a little more. I know it’s wrong. And I know this doesn’t make you pay for your crimes. You might even win the argument this way, I don’t know. But you killed Cally. And her people. And Dayna’s family. And you drove Avon mad until he could murder an unarmed friend. You’ve had enough reprieves.

[Her eyes are glazing over, but her expression turns cunning.]

Servalan: [amused] Oh Vila... such a fool... even now...

[Vila frowns. Servalan loses consciousness and goes limp.]

Vila: [disgusted] I need a drink. Get rid of the body. Chuck it in the escape pod, throw it into the sun, just... get it away from me.

[He turns and heads off the flight deck. Zanto watches him leave.]

Zanto: [gently] It had to be done, Vila.

Vila: Yeah. Knowing that suddenly makes it all worthwhile.

[He leaves. Zanto sighs and looks down at Servalan’s lifeless body.]

Zanto: Yes. It does, doesn’t it?

[Space. The two ships sail through the void. A small escape capsule, identical to the one the pilot used, detaches from Servalan’s cruiser and drifts away.]

[Cabin. Avon lies on the bed as he did in the cell on Gauda Prime. The door opens to reveal Vila, still holding the gun.]

Vila: Evening.

Avon: A little late for social calls.

Vila: Just shows I’m in charge of my own destiny for once.

Avon: And what wonderful things you’ve done with it, Vila.

Vila: Servalan’d probably agree with you. If she wasn’t dead.

Avon: [neutral] You killed her, I suppose.

Vila: Once she recorded her victory speech to scare the living hell out of the Federation. They’re going to be too busy looking over their shoulders to check she hasn’t stabbed them in the back to bother us. For a while anyway.

Avon: And we are free of Commissioner Sleer.

Vila: Yep.

Avon: So you executed her in cold blood?

Vila: I’m sick of living in a universe where she gets to survive and other people don’t. At least I can tell myself I made it up to Dayna. Did what she never got a chance to.

Avon: Yes, this precious sense of honor is definitely satisfied. Disposing of one psychopath will no doubt put the whole of creation to rights. Nothing can stop us now.

[Vila sits opposite Avon. His gun is pointed, but not aimed, at Avon.]

Vila: Bringing us neatly to you.

Avon: [understanding] Ah. Servalan’s dead and I, no doubt, am next on your list?

Vila: You’re a loose end that needs sorting out, Avon. Or am I wrong?

Avon: Oh, no, but you’re right! And this is how it ends... with the little Delta-grad thief with a personal vendetta. [mock sad] How the mighty do fall.

[Vila stretches out an arm, aiming the gun right between Avon’s eyes.]

Vila: I could give you this gun, Avon. Let you kill yourself.

Avon: You seriously think that’s what I intend to do?

Vila: Yeah. Yeah, I do as it happens. You want to escape, Avon. You want to hide somewhere safe – but there’s nowhere left. No bolt-holes deep enough. No frontier planets distant enough. You’ve tried everything – except death.

Avon: Death is not an escape, Vila. It is a total rejection.

Vila: [knowing] And that doesn’t appeal to you?

[A beat. Avon grins his scary grin.]

Avon: Give me the gun and find out.

[A beat. Vila turns the gun away, aiming at the ceiling.]

Vila: No. [rises] You get to live, Avon. Enough people have died already.

Avon: Oh, very merciful Vila. Shall we toast this new understanding with some more of your radioactive whiskey?

[He picks up an empty tumbler to emphasize his point.]

Vila: No. Let’s sleep on it instead.

[Vila heads for the exit.]

Avon: One last thing before you go.

[Vila stops in the doorway. He doesn’t turn around.]

Avon: What makes you think you aren’t doing exactly what I want? That I haven’t fooled you into sparing my life for my own and immeasurably devious ends?

Vila: What makes you think you changed my mind?

Avon: I’m still alive.

Vila: You’re getting a second chance.

Avon: [triumphant] Why?

[Vila turns and looks Avon straight in the eye.]

Vila: Because it’s what Blake would have done.

[Avon is silent. Vila turns and leaves the door closes. Avon sits silently for a moment. Then he crushes the tumbler in his hand, shattering the glass. His face almost but not quite loses the impassive mask.]

[The two ships hurtle off into the night.]

+++++++
END OF EPISODE
+++++++


Avon
PAUL DARROW

Vila
MICHAEL KEATING

Soolin
GLYNIS BARBER

Lora
PRIMI TOWNSEND

Zanto
RICHARD WILLIS

Orac
PETER TUDDENHAM

Servalan
JACQUELINE PEARCE

Ateno
ADRIAN MILLS

Gamren
ANNIE LAMBERT

Ravelo
TOM GEORGESON

Captain
THANE BETTANY

Trooper
GRAHAM COLE

Meston
DAVID WESTON

6 comments:

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

Okay finally finished it. And I liked it a lot. It wraps it up well striking a nice balance between old and new for another season to come on. It really reminded me of Farscape really, in terms of how it changed the cast dynamic so much. And a lot of other modern TV in terms of how much teasing of the viewer there was. The way the Pilot couldn't get out who Servi was to anybody, Servalan's (near) constant wriggling out of certain death. All well played.

If I can get something out of the way that you probably won't be crazy to hear, I get where the Alan Stevens comparison has come from. The theory to explain Blake's actions that Avon espouses is in the vein of the reinterpretation that "Nyder" enjoys doing of these shows, but I have to say I like this one because Blake's motives WERE ill-defined in the episode AND this theory is presented by a character who is explicitly unbalanced in the script. As I read it, whether Avon has a point or not is up to the viewer.

(Although it seems to lean in the direction of paranoid fantasy considering the Federation side of the story doesn't mention any deal for the Scorpio crew having been made)

The setpiece moments were great. Ravelo's reveal of Blake's true plan and how it was irreversible was very clever and amazingly turns Blake into a story that ISN'T utterly nihilistic and soul-destroying. I liked Vila's genius gambit against Avon and, even more, how it then blows up in his face spectacularly. The destruction of the base and the escape and then Servalan virtually proclaiming herself the new Blake. Grand stuff.

(... bloody character limit...)

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

It isn't without a couple of flaws, though. It is very dialogue heavy and there are a couple of sequences which could do with editing down. There's virtually an entire scene of banter on the shuttle when they're escaping that could be cut, as I read it, because it seemed to rob the climax of its pace. Also the tone got a little too comic in parts and the characters rely on bitter sarcasm more than usual.

The scene where Avon explains why he killed Blake to Vila is brilliantly written, but somehow I feel it loses gravity in where it sits in the story. The scene is very busy with a lot happening and a lot of other characters. Somehow the tone of the writing and the nature of the scene made me feel like it should have been Vila and Avon talking to one another alone.

The other thing is that the characters who end up on the ship - Zanto, Gamren and Lora - don't get much of a chance to distinguish themselves from a large cast of characters. That said, I realise this could well be a deliberate choice, adding to the unknown quality of who is actually going to be the new crew.

That said, Lora had a fairly well defined personality thanks to the number of scenes she has by the end of the story but I was a bit bothered by Zanto. His one conspicuous personality trait seemed to be that he makes lots of sarcastic comments, which are hardly in short supply to begin with. I'm assuming that these characters will be getting plenty of character development in future episodes...

What impressed me the most is the handling of Servalan. As you should well know by now I HATE Servalan after... ooh, halfway through S3 at least? She seems to sustain herself on the kind of arsey luck that usually only shows up for characters played by Bruce Willis and won't stop chewing the scenery when there's meant to be a plot around.

My main minor niggle when reading was it became apparent early on that Orac would guarantee her survival, as he did, and that the Captain, though an effective one-off villain, wouldn't have what it took to kill her once and for all. Come the end, it became apparent that the unthinkable was happening - she was undergoing a Baylar Craise style transformation into one of the good guys! And what stunned me more was I was totally fine with this!

Having her on the crew in disgraced exile seemed like a brilliant idea, in the way it had all been written. And then BANG. When I least expect it she finally fucking dies. At the hands of Vila of all people (Didn't he also kill her in B7SP?) You gave me what I had wanted for seasons, but in such a way it now seemed, just a little bit, sad.

Anyway, I definitely look forward to the rest. Were you planning on doing a full season?

Youth of Australia said...

Okay finally finished it.
Yay!

The theory to explain Blake's actions that Avon espouses is in the vein of the reinterpretation that "Nyder" enjoys doing of these shows,
Ah. OK.

but I have to say I like this one because Blake's motives WERE ill-defined in the episode AND this theory is presented by a character who is explicitly unbalanced in the script.
Also a character who has spent a week in near solitary confinement half-expecting to be executed any minute. And every other character calls Avon out on his "subtext".

Havng rewatched the last episode, Blake doesn't actually "test" Avon, so a lot of it is the computer genius trying to justify his own actions to himself. He's basically saying, "I MIGHT have been right! It COULD have happened!"

amazingly turns Blake into a story that ISN'T utterly nihilistic and soul-destroying.
I always noticed there was odd emphasis placed on GP suddenly turning legal - Soolin couldn't believe it, for example. It seemed to suggest there was more going on than some mining magnates wanting a tax dodge.

I liked Vila's genius gambit against Avon and, even more, how it then blows up in his face spectacularly.
I noticed that Vila actually screws up the plan in a way - he orders the rebels to attack Lora and the pilot, they crash and thus wreck the forest Avon is navigating to find Orac.

Totally unintentional irony there.

It isn't without a couple of flaws, though.
Yeah.

It is very dialogue heavy and there are a couple of sequences which could do with editing down.
Quite probably. I hit one of those "can't write then write too much" things around the time Servalan and Avon met in the woods.

There's virtually an entire scene of banter on the shuttle when they're escaping that could be cut, as I read it, because it seemed to rob the climax of its pace.
Yeah. I think I was trying to make every scene memorable, which could have been a big mistake.

Also the tone got a little too comic in parts and the characters rely on bitter sarcasm more than usual.
Another thing I was having problems with - though I was trying to lighten the mood after "Blake", it probably got out of control.

The scene where Avon explains why he killed Blake to Vila is brilliantly written, but somehow I feel it loses gravity in where it sits in the story.
Yeah. Very, very originally that was going to be the last scene but there were other things - it was the first time in the ep it was confirmed AVON was the one to kill Blake, also in front of characters who wouldn't have believed such a thing had happened.

(You might note some stage directions where Servalan and the others shuffle awkwardly in the background, annoyed as A/V ignore them and argue - probably a signal from Fred there.)

Youth of Australia said...

That said, I realise this could well be a deliberate choice, adding to the unknown quality of who is actually going to be the new crew.
I can take comfort that was the intention. I deliberately gave Ravelo more obvious drama, etc, to suggest he was the new Tarrant or whatever, so it'd be a surprise when he karked it.

I was a bit bothered by Zanto. His one conspicuous personality trait seemed to be that he makes lots of sarcastic comments, which are hardly in short supply to begin with.
Well, he was supposed to have other defining traits - his loyalty to Vila, his easily-distracted-from-mortal-danger, plus some guilt that he came up with lots of plans to keep Blake alive and none of them worked.

I'm assuming that these characters will be getting plenty of character development in future episodes...
That is the plan. Zanto's loyalty to Vila is a big part of the next episode, as he has to take the second-in-command, make difficult decisions bit.

What impressed me the most is the handling of Servalan.
High praise indeed.

As you should well know by now I HATE Servalan after... ooh, halfway through S3 at least?
In fairness, I think you're supposed to. Sand aside, S4 is not good for her (Miss Pearce would be the first to say so, she hated it...)

Come the end, it became apparent that the unthinkable was happening - she was undergoing a Baylar Craise style transformation into one of the good guys!
I hadn't thought of it in those terms. Her prospects were better with Vila, yes, but she certainly wasn't turning good. She just had no reason to kill them all that day.

And what stunned me more was I was totally fine with this!
Oh dear. I've missed a trick, haven't I?

At the hands of Vila of all people (Didn't he also kill her in B7SP?)
He's done it in a fair few PGP stories by virtue of
a) it being poetic justice
b) Vila being credibly the one person Servie never thinks of as a threat

It's also to show Vila's the leader now, getting his hands dirty and tackling the crap Avon couldn't. Unsurprisingly, their chances of success are going to improve without Sleer on their backs this year.

You gave me what I had wanted for seasons, but in such a way it now seemed, just a little bit, sad.
Would it scar you for life to know that Servie's story isn't over? She appears in the next episode - in a nightmare sequence, admittedly - "and will return in an unexpected capacity" (TM Lawence Miles 2003) around episode seven.

Anyway, I definitely look forward to the rest. Were you planning on doing a full season?
That was my intention, depending on whether Escape worked or if the reaction was "YOU RAPE MY MEMORIES YOU BASTARD?!?" which seemed to be on the cards there.

The ideas so far include - more of Soolin's past; the return of the crazy warlords; an alien monster story; the return of Servalan; a dodgy holiday planet; a new recurring villain; and the season finale will be a Blake's 7 take on the wedding of Charles and Di.

And more screentime for the newbies...

Lora: You know, as ultimate computers go, he is very narrow-minded.

Zanto: [impressed] You can annoy Orac more than he annoys us. Consider yourself promoted to indispensible, Trooper.

Lora: [flat] So I was dispensable before, was I?

Zanto: Ah. Sorry about that, Lora.

Gamren: He tends to highlight unfortunate implications. They’re his stock in trade.

Zanto: And they saved your life more than once tonight.

Gamren: I’m grateful, I’m grateful. But wouldn’t it have been better if instead of saving us all, you made sure none of us were sent into danger in the first place?

Zanto: Yes, Gamren, and it would be also better if we all had magical powers we could unleash upon our enemies with a thought!

Lora: [put out] You mean we don’t? Aw.

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

Havng rewatched the last episode, Blake doesn't actually "test" Avon,

No. He didn't really get much of a chance..

I always noticed there was odd emphasis placed on GP suddenly turning legal - Soolin couldn't believe it, for example. It seemed to suggest there was more going on than some mining magnates wanting a tax dodge.

Yeah, that's a good point. It was treated as a mini plot-twist although it didn't have any bearing whatsoever on the plot that followed..

I noticed that Vila actually screws up the plan in a way - he orders the rebels to attack Lora and the pilot, they crash and thus wreck the forest Avon is navigating to find Orac.

Another thing I was having problems with - though I was trying to lighten the mood after "Blake", it probably got out of control.

Hmm, I think it makes sense for it to be serious but try to be cathartic so lighter episodes can follow. But it kind of worked out that way..

it was the first time in the ep it was confirmed AVON was the one to kill Blake, also in front of characters who wouldn't have believed such a thing had happened.

Yeah, I got that but there didn't seem much room for the other characters to react to it what with everything coming to a head all at once. I thought it actually seemed more significant that Avon said it aloud in that moment.

(You might note some stage directions where Servalan and the others shuffle awkwardly in the background, annoyed as A/V ignore them and argue - probably a signal from Fred there.)

...Drop Dead Fred?

Would it scar you for life to know that Servie's story isn't over? She appears in the next episode - in a nightmare sequence, admittedly - "and will return in an unexpected capacity" (TM Lawence Miles 2003) around episode seven.

That doesn't surprise me at all and that's fine. She is a big part to cut out of the show.

I was a little paranoid that it would turn out to be one of those stun blasters again, and somehow she'd pilot the escape pod to safety and become the leader of some space pirates or whatever in the usual vein of the crap she does..

the return of the crazy warlords;

You and your crazy warlords :P

and the season finale will be a Blake's 7 take on the wedding of Charles and Di.

The fuck?

Youth of Australia said...

No. He didn't really get much of a chance..
True, but even so. "It's ME! Blake!" is not said in a "Hah! I have fucked you over, old man! Let us see if you have the righteous anger you had when your haircut was sillier than The Black Adder!"

Yeah, that's a good point. It was treated as a mini plot-twist although it didn't have any bearing whatsoever on the plot that followed..
Well, now we know the truth.

Hmm, I think it makes sense for it to be serious but try to be cathartic so lighter episodes can follow. But it kind of worked out that way..
Yeah. I was more focussed on "would Character X say this?" rather than "wouldn't they stop wisecracking for once in a fucking lifetime".

OTOH, I would prefer such an overload to say, Stardrive, where around ten minutes of dialogue free "walk through a quarry slowly" material fills up an episode.

Yeah, I got that but there didn't seem much room for the other characters to react to it what with everything coming to a head all at once.
Yeah. I know. I couldn't work out a better way, though - I just thought "it shows how screwed up Avon and Vila are, they're not even paying attention to the ongoing plot"...

I thought it actually seemed more significant that Avon said it aloud in that moment.
He still couldn't say Blake's name, though.

...Drop Dead Fred?
Sorry. TV tropes. A signal from Fred is when the author's subconscious points out how crap it's going. Like a character going "I find this very difficult to believe" or something.

That doesn't surprise me at all and that's fine. She is a big part to cut out of the show.
I know. I'm not brave enough to do it properly, but black-feather-kill-em-all-Sleer type Servalan IS gone for good. Promise.

I was a little paranoid that it would turn out to be one of those stun blasters again, and somehow she'd pilot the escape pod to safety and become the leader of some space pirates or whatever in the usual vein of the crap she does..
Heh. I wish I could say a lie and tell you it's completely different to that, but there are a few similarities.

Though
- Vila fired a lethal bolt at her
- Zanto was sure she was dead
- when Servalan comes back, she's not going to be leading Bayban's castoffs or anything like that. I'm tempted to have them spot her working as an alley hooker on Mars or something...

You and your crazy warlords :P
Oh, you have no idea...

The fuck
I know! Had Season E been made, it would have been done around 1982, when Charles and Di got hitched. So I decided to do a version of that - basically, the episode has a raid on Earth where the populace are distracted by some celebs getting married.

(I mean, if B7 can have an episode mocking Thatcher taking power as a season finale...)